Essential Kayak Gear
March 28, 2016
Now that you have fallen in love with kayaking like millions of other Americans you will need to have the proper equipment to enjoy your sport during the warm summer months and into the cooler fall. There certainly are some must-haves when it comes to being able to paddle. At the same time there are other items of equipment that are more a matter of preference and are not required at all. Let’s look at essential equipment and some non essential equipment.
- Paddle - Different types of kayaking require a different type of paddle. Little Harbor Boathouse can help you choose the right one for your needs.
- Floatation Device - Despite your swimming expertise you should always have a personal floatation device for safety.
- Spray Skirt - Spray Skirts for sit-in kayaks help keep the water out of the kayak. They are necessary for Whitewater and Sea Kayaking. Recreational kayaking can do without them. You must be sure that the skirt fits both you and the kayak.
- Helmet - This essential safety equipment should not be skimped upon. Buy one that fits properly and is appropriate for your needs.
- Wetsuit or Drysuit - Totally a matter of preference and your needs for the temperature of the water.
- This is a great place to keep your snacks and camera dry.
- Knife - In the rare event that you get tangles in sea vegetation or rope you will need this.
- Rope Bag - This could be used as part of a rescue bag and could help save life.
- Gloves - This is a matter of whether you like to protect your hands from scrapes. Others feel that they keep your hands warm.